Monday 30 March 2009

The last of the winter sports

We managed to squeeze in a couple of winter sports things from our "to do" list this week, before spring is well and truly here.

Firstly on Tuesday we had tickets to see our local hockey team, the Medicine Hat Tigers in one of their end of season playoff matches. Having only seen hockey on the TV or in the Ralston arena, we wanted to make sure we had a chance to see a professional game before we left.

The atmosphere was amazing and judging by the cars outside the arena, it looked like most of the town had turned out for the match.

Unfortunately the Tigers were beaten by the Swift Current Broncos, but on Sunday night they managed to claw it back to 3 all in a 7 game series, so we may yet win!

I have to say that after a season of playing myself, I'm really glad we got a chance to see how the pros do it - unsurprisingly it's quite different!

Last night, it was our turn to try curling! The BFBS boss Patrick is leaving next week, so we thought it would be a good Canadian way to give him a send off. It was brilliant fun and I recommend it to anyone who gets a chance to give it a go, if only so you can discover its not as easy as it looks on the TV!

One of the hardest things was trying to stay upright, particularly when you push off with the rock. As you can see from the video below, I was spectacularly bad at it and I also have a very bruised knee after our evening's antics!



1 comment:

  1. I have always thought that curling had to be harder than it looked on TV, but I have never tried.

    ReplyDelete